Monday, September 6, 2010

My First South African Designer

Four years ago, I stumbled across a design by Maya Prass in the most unexpected little shop. For those of you who think the name sounds familiar but cant place it – Maya Prass has a collaboration range with Woolworths.


Trying to waste some time with my mom, we walked into a little boutique in Knysna, not expecting to buy anything when I singled out my soon to be Matric Dance dress. Not only did it appear that this dress was made for me considering its perfect fit, I was informed that it had also won the Catharine Award in 2005. Coincidence? I think not. This was my first real designer purchase and to add to that my first South African designer purchase and it really changed the way I felt about fashion. Now I really wanted to be a part of it in any way possible.


My Matric Dance Dress (Please excuse the hideous shoes)

What I love about Maya Prass’ designs is that the fabric so rich in colour and amazing quality. You won’t believe how heavy my Matric Dance dress is because of the lining and layers, truly beautiful. All of her designs are created in association with local textile artists and/or designers, as well as being printed locally.


She’s fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your comments ladies, I love hearing what you have to say :)